Fiona has developed a training syllabus consisting of direct tutorship, practical underwater photographic expeditions, practical cultural photographic expeditions, free diving training, and theoretical plus practical tuition for digital workflow and post-processing of your photographs.
Underwater photographic expeditions: Month long students will partake in 18 underwater SCUBA expeditions. 2 of these sessions will be pool based and focus on techniques to photograph and to work with human models underwater. 16 open water SCUBA expeditions will concentrate on photographing and/or filming local marine wildlife- both wide-angle and macro subjects.
Cultural photographic expeditions: Students will partake in 2 cultural expeditions. One of these will be water/surf based and focus on techniques to photograph human models at the waters edge. One expedition will concentrate on photographing local village life.
Free diving training: in addition, students will partake in 4 underwater free-diving expeditions. One of these will be pool based and focus on techniques to successfully breath-hold underwater. Two open water expeditions will concentrate on locating and photographing local marine wildlife (such as whale sharks or humpback whales and also reef vistas or landscapes which have recently gained in popularity in art sales) whilst on snorkelling gear and one will concentrate on working with models underwater ( this last one will either be pool based or possibly in the shallow surf or rock pools).
Although the course is not limited to this- Here are just some of the aspects of this field that you can expect to learn about:
Specialist tutoring: lectures/practicals include:
- Extensive, intense and detailed training on UW cameras and digital underwater photography,
- Successful shooting of models underwater,
- The progression from enthusiastic amateur to professional underwater photographer with a positive cash-flow
- Night time photography on land incl. shooting star trails( if conditions permit we will certainly do night dives )
- Locals- villages and on the seashore
- Shooting wide angle
- Stock Photography
- Macro underwater work
- Super-Macro underwater work
- Ambient light
- Setting up your housing and camera and maintenance
- Strobe use and creative UW lighting effects
- Working with premiere and adding music to films
Digital Workflow: Lectures/practicals include:
- Multiple Underwater Photo software workshops on Lightroom , Photoshop and Premiere – specifically geared to Underwater Photographers
- Creative ideas for UW specialists
- How to correctly keyword your images both in Lightroom and on stock sites