Theoretical training includes:
A 2 part introduction to dSLR photography for beginners. Advanced users are given training in specific functions on their cameras and usually find buttons they never knew existed! There are multiple tutorials covered but our most popular are: Shooting burst and stitching; making composite photos; stock photography, basic to advanced training in Adobe Lightroom; how to market yourself and sell- including blogging and social media use. We have newly added courses such as how to make money out of your photographs and how to draft take instructions and contract with a client. There’s more info on the tutorials covered on the FAQ page.
the course is mostly practical and training includes:
Tutored and supervised shooting at set photographic platforms (see below), shooting marketing material for established clients, assisting with ad hoc client shoots.
Set photographic excursions include the following :
- 4 day / 3 night trip to the Great Karoo to either the incredible Asante Sana private reserve or another private game reserve of our choice
- 2 day / 1 night trip to Plettenberg Bay where we visit Jukani wildlife park,Birds of Eden and Monkeyland and spend a few hours at Tenikwa sanctuary
- 1 x trip to shoot local people: a project in conjunction with local organisations
- 1 x day trip to the Cango Wildlife Ranch and the dramatic waterfalls of the Swartberg mountains ( not possible every month )
- Landscape stop over on the Robinson Pass( not possible every month )
- 1 x cage dive with local cage diving boat White Shark Africa (typically included, but not guaranteed due to weather)
- 2 x trips to shoot surfers/body boarders and/or skate boarders
- 1 x trip to shoot abseilers or climbers; canoeists or sand boarders
- 1 x UW pool shooting trip and if weather allows we do a rock pool shoot too
- hiking morning with shoot of caves
- St Blaize Trail: Origin of humankind
- 1 x night shoot from any of the above locations- star trails or Moon rise
- sunsets and sunrises
- techniques for landscapes and travel photography
- 1 x half day trip to the Valley of Desolation in the Karoo to shoot the sunset
- 1 x 2 hour trip around the Camdeboo National Park near Graaff-Reinette in the Great Karoo
- sunsets and sunrises regularly
note: sometimes some of these trips are not possible,and the owners reserve the right to change trips. These are however, the trips that the program has been doing for the past years.